From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: mount: "special device /dev/hdc does not exist". What does this mean?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:13:33
1 Hi, Nikos,
2
3 On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:06:15PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5
6 > >However, I can't access my DVD drives. I know at least one of them
7 > >works, because I installed Gentoo from it.
8
9 > >When I do
10
11 > > mount -tiso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom
12
13 > >, it comes back with "special device /dev/hdc does not exist". And yes,
14 > >there was a CD in the drive, and /cdrom exists.
15
16 > >What does "special device" mean here? Does it mean the physcial
17 > >hardware, the controller chip, the directory entry /dev/hdc, the driver
18 > >in the kernel, or what? What is "special" about my DVD writer?
19
20 > /dev/hdc (and other files in /dev) are not called "files", they're
21 > called "special devices").
22
23 Ah! I really wish they weren't. Didn't they used to be called "device
24 files"?
25
26 > >Well, to answer some of my questions, I was missing a /dev/hdc, so I
27 > >made one with
28
29 > ># mknod /dev/hdc b 22 0
30
31 > >. This didn't help one iota. I had a look at dmesg, but there was no
32 > >mention of hdc in it. (It did mention hdg, hdh, where my main hard
33 > >drives are (don't ask!)).
34
35 > Use /dev/sdc instead of /dev/hdc.
36
37 I booted up in to the kernel, did # ls /dev/sd*, and the only things
38 displayed were /dev/sda and /dev/sda1. That is the place where my USB
39 stick gets mounted.
40
41 > The default in new kernels is to only use /dev/sd*.
42
43 I'm totally confused. Doesn't "sd*" mean "SCSI disk drive"? When I was
44 installing Gentoo from the CD, I had to mount my main hard drive as
45 /dev/sdb5. When I built my own kernel, it needed /dev/hdh5.
46
47 This seems crazy. Is it documented anywhere in Gentoo?
50 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).