From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: amd Athlon 64 x2 install cpu?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:17:30
1 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > > Im using the livecd amd64 to install a new AMD ATholon 64 x2 Dual-Core
5 > > > based system. I'm at the processor selection and stumped by the lack of
6 > > > choices.
9 > You should be specifying '-march=athlon64'.
10
11 > '-athlon64' is not a valid CFLAG, also -sse/2 and -3dnow are all implied
12 > by -march=athlon64 and I'm quite sure that -mfpmath=sse is also the default
13 > on amd64. It may be useful to specify '-msse3' in the CFLAGS though if your
14 > cpu supports SSE3 as no -march setting implies it yet. Although it's unlikely
15 > that gcc utilises sse3 properly.
16
17 > I recommend the following CFLAGS:
18 >
19 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon64 -pipe"
20
21 > Adding ) if appropriate for your cpu.
24 OK, I guess, I'll use the minimal CD and the older (handbook) style install.
25
26 I was hoping to use the amd64 liveCD, but the (Gig)ethernet is acting funny;
27 it gets ping replies during the live cd install, but when ping from another
28 machine, it never answers. It can get to the gateway, with ping replies
29 as seen on while booted into the livedCD, but no further (yes resolve.conf)
30 is set up. It answers no pings from other systems.......
31
32 The mobo, a 'MSI K9A' with an AM2 socket board with dual (Gig)ethernets,
33 8 channel surround, PCI-X and setup for the ATI 1900 crossfire dual video
34 cards. I only have one ATI 1900 video card installed.
35
36 I've gotta put the install aside, for a few days, to get some other
37 work finished. Between the hardware and the need to figure out how to
38 compile/run code directly on the ATI 1900 video card, I'm sure I'll
39 be posting again on this project. When I try the install again, I'll post
40 more about the chipsets and driver issues, if I cannot resolved them
41 myself.
42
43 thx to all for the comments,
44 James