From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:10:12
1 On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:02 AM, Holger Hoffstätte
2 <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:53:07 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> And as I understand it the code can be disabled with either a compile
8 >>> time option or command line switch to the kernel.
9 >>
10 >> I suspect the compile-time option is PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION (which was
11 >> newly added in 4.14.11). The command line option nopti will disable
12 >> it at runtime.
13 >>
14 >> Rumor has it that it will be disabled on AMD CPUs in 4.14.12, but I
15 >
16 > That's not a rumor and it can be easily verified either here:
17 >
18 > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git/tree/queue-4.14/x86-cpu-x86-pti-do-not-enable-pti-on-amd-processors.patch
19 >
20 > or in mainline git, respectively.
23 Not back when I made my post, as is evident from the timestamps.
24
25 All the info around these vulnerabilities is rapidly evolving, so take
26 anything you hear with some skepticism until the dust settles...
29 Rich