From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:27:37
1 Hi, C.
2
3 Last mail before I take Sebastian's advice. ;-)
4
5 On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 03:20:59PM -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
7
8 > Hi Alan.
9
10 > Point a, you are oversimplifying.
11
12 Indeed. :-)
13
14 > THAT is insane.
15
16 I think I am, too.
17
18 > >> And again, it's Open Source. If there is enough demand, someone will
19 > >> write support for other printing systems. Just don't assume that any
20 > >> project (being LibreOffice or Gentoo) need to support your choices
21 > >> besides the most used one.
22
23 > > Again the code already exists, it's merely a matter of not destroying
24 > > it. I became a user based on it supporting a standard printing
25 > > system, and it's perfectly reasonable for me to expect that support
26 > > to continue.
27
28 > Sorry, but again I disagree. You became a user of an Open Source piece
29 > of code. If it breaks, you get to keep the pieces, and that's about it.
30 > Read the GPL license:
31
32 > "... is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
33 > ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
34 > FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."
35
36 Thankfully, there are many, many hackers who, despite the legal lack of
37 responsibility, actually do support their projects effectively. As I
38 aspire to do with mine. As I presume you do with yours too.
39
40 > Regards.
41 > --
42 > Canek Peláez Valdés
43 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
44 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
45
46 Thanks for these exchanges this evening. I've learnt quite a bit. So,
47 it's good night from me, good afternoon to you!
50 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).