From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WORKAROUNDED]Nasty bugs in portage?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 06:46:32
1 On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 23:03 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Saturday 10 September 2005 20:09, Frank Schafer wrote:
3 > > ... or which distribution to install during less than 4 days?
4 > >
5 > > Hi list,
6 > >
7 > > as I wrote yesterday I planned to complete installation after work
8 > > (started ``emerge --emptytree system'' in the morning).
11 > where did you get the idea that --emptytree is needed or even a wise decision?
12 > --emptytree is almost NEVER needed and since it is a troublesom procedure, it
13 > should not be made, until you are totally sure, that you need it.
14 >
15 > emerge system
16 >
17 > is all you need to do, to get the base system.
18 > After that, emerge what you like to have, but NEVER use --emptytree, except
19 > when you are able to deal with the consequences.
20 >
21 > Obviously you are not, so do not do it.
22 > NO
25 > was that clear enough?
28 Yes, that WAS clear enough. So we have an even more nasty documentation
29 bug in the gentoo installation handbook (it tells to ``emerge
30 --emptytree system'') and a nasty portage (or was it bootstrap?) bug (it
31 tells me to be aware, that we need to add -e to emerge system now after
32 finishing.
33
34 > For your gcc-problem, there is the fix script, others mentioned - but a lot of
35 > times all that is needed is to run gcc-config to set the correct gcc.
36
37 gcc-config ran after the installation. (see in one fo my further posts,
38 there was the "Native compiler changed to ..." amongst the messages.
39
40 I've found (with some help of b.g.o.) that these ARE bugs. Here's the
41 whole success story.
42
43 scripts/bootstrap.sh
44 #to work around the autoconf dependency bug
45 emerge --oneshot --nodeps autoconf
46 emerge --oneshot --nodeps aotoconf-wrapper
47 #to work around the python-fchksum dependency bug
48 emerge --oneshot --nodeps python
49 emerge --emptytree system
50
51 No fix_libtool_files.sh necessary. Why? There never was an older version
52 of gcc.
53
54 Some words to the autoconf ... will start a new thread.
55
56 So much to the ability.
57
58 Frank
59
60 PS: You're a German? Probably this is the reason for your arrogance.
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list