From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] display adjustments
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:21:20
1 On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 02:12 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have a one new gentoo sytems installed that works good with a 20"
5 > Sceptre LCD monitor.
6 >
7 > However, when I move the hdmi connector to a 32" vizio hdtv/display,
8 > the display is too large for the physical screen. This happens
9 > before I 'startx' and after kde/X starts up.
10
11 what is the actual native resolution of the 32" hdtv? I would guess not
12 as good as the 20" LCD, which is probably 1680x1200. HDTV can support
13 up to 1920x1440 I think, but here in Aust. we only get 1600x1080 or
14 something stupid like that. Unless it's a high end HDTV, you may not be
15 getting 1920x1440. Try changing the resolution to 1024x768, then work
16 your way up. Also try and get the frequencies of the tv, and set those
17 explicitly.
18
19 I don't know much about HDMI - is it just analog video (ie. component)
20 with HD capability and DRM?
21
22 If so, you may want to look for some TV settings in your xorg.conf like
23 overscan. I've found that depending on the card / tv combo I'm using,
24 the picture can be too big, too small, too far to the left, etc.
25
26 > I tried using "DisplaySize" but that did not work.
27
28 not sure what that is.
29
30 > Any ideas? What baffles me is the display is too big
31 > in console mode too?
32
33 yeah, that sounds like either the resolution is too big for the tv, or
34 the video signal just needs a bit of tweaking!
35
36 HTH,
40 Conquest is easy. Control is not.
41 -- Kirk, "Mirror, Mirror", stardate unknown
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list