From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restrict site access by SSL Client Cert?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:20:28
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I know that you can restrict access to a certain site using either Basic
5 > HTTP Auth or Digest Auth, but I was wondering - can you do the same with an
6 > SSL Client Certificate?
7 >
8 > I'd like to prevent access to an ancient web based database to only users
9 > that have a Client Cert that I created for them installed.
10 >
11 > Is this possible? I'd also like to provide for IP based exceptions if
12 > possible, but if I can't do both, I'll just install the Cert for everyone.
13
14 Two ways (that I know of) to do this:
15
16 1) Configure a front-end proxy like squid to do it.
17 2) Configure Apache to do it.
18
19 I haven't done it myself, though, and I hear the error messages the
20 OpenSSL libraries give you are cryptic.
23 :wq