From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 23:09:59
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2022 13:31, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >> On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 5:38 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
6 >> <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
7 >>  >
8 >>  > Howdy,
9 >>  >
10 >>  > I've pretty much reached a limit on my backups.  I'm up to a 16TB
11 >> hard
12 >>  > drive for one and even that won't last long.  Larger drives are much
13 >>  > more costly.  A must have NAS is quickly approaching.  I've been
14 >>  > searching around and find some things confusing.  I'm hoping
15 >> someone can
16 >>  > clear up that confusion.  I'm also debating what path to travel down.
17 >>  > I'd also like to keep costs down as well.  That said, I don't mind
18 >>  > paying a little more for one that would offer a much better option.
19 >>  >
20 >>  > Path one, buy a NAS, possibly used, that has no drives.  If
21 >> possible, I
22 >>  > may even replace the OS that comes on it or upgrade if I can.  I'm
23 >> not
24 >>  > looking for fancy, or even RAID.  Just looking for a two bay NAS that
25 >>  > will work.  First, what is a DAS?  Is that totally different than a
26 >>  > NAS?  From what I've found, a DAS is not what I'm looking for since I
27 >>  > want a ethernet connection and the ability to control things over the
28 >>  > network.  It seems DAS lacks that feature but not real sure.  I'm not
29 >>  > sure I can upgrade the software/OS on a DAS either.
30 >>  >
31 >>  > Next thing.  Let's say a NAS comes with two 4TB drives for a total of
32 >>  > 8TB of capacity from the factory, using LVM or similar software I
33 >>  > assume.  Is that limited to that capacity or can I for example
34 >> replace
35 >>  > one or both drives with for example 14TB drives for a total of
36 >> 28TBs of
37 >>  > capacity?  If one does that, let's say it uses LVM, can I somehow
38 >> move
39 >>  > data as well or is that beyond the abilities of a NAS?  Could it
40 >> be done
41 >>  > inside my computer for example?  Does this vary by brand or even
42 >> model?
43 >>  >
44 >>  > Path two, I've researched building a NAS using a Raspberry Pi 4
45 >> 8GB as
46 >>  > another option.  They come as parts, cases too, but the newer and
47 >> faster
48 >>  > models of Raspberry Pi 4 with more ram seem to work pretty well.  The
49 >>  > old slower models with small amounts of ram don't fair as well.
50 >> While I
51 >>  > want a descent speed, I'm not looking for or expecting it to be
52 >>  > blazingly fast.  I just wonder, if from a upgrade and expansion
53 >> point of
54 >>  > view, if building a NAS would be better.  I've also noticed, it seems
55 >>  > all Raspberry things come with a display port.  That means I could
56 >> hook
57 >>  > up a monitor and mouse/keyboard when needed.  That could be a bonus.
58 >>  > Heck, I may can even put some sort of Gentoo on that thing.  :-D
59 >>  >
60 >>  > One reason I'm wanting to go this route, I'm trying to keep it
61 >> small and
62 >>  > able to fit inside my fire safe.  I plan to buy a media type safe
63 >> that
64 >>  > is larger but right now, it needs to fit inside my current safe.
65 >> Most
66 >>  > of the 2 bay NAS or a Raspberry Pi based NAS are fairly small.
67 >> They not
68 >>  > much bigger than the three external hard drives and a couple bare
69 >> drives
70 >>  > that currently occupy my safe.
71 >>  >
72 >>  > One thing I'd like to have no matter what path I go down, the
73 >> ability to
74 >>  > encrypt the data.  My current backup drives are encrypted and I'd
75 >> like
76 >>  > to keep it that way.  If that is possible to do.  I suspect the
77 >>  > Raspberry option would since I'd control the OS/software placed on
78 >> it.
79 >>  > I could be wrong tho.
80 >>  >
81 >>  > One last thing.  Are there any NAS type boxes that I should
82 >> absolutely
83 >>  > avoid if I go that route?  Maybe it is a model that has serious
84 >>  > limitations or has other problems.  I think the DAS thing may be
85 >> one for
86 >>  > me to avoid but I'm not for sure what limits it has.  Google
87 >> didn't help
88 >>  > a lot. It also could be as simple as, avoid any model that says
89 >> this in
90 >>  > the description or uses some type of software that is bad or limits
91 >>  > options.
92 >>  >
93 >>  > Thoughts?  Info to share?  Ideas on a best path forward?  Buy already
94 >>  > built or build?
95 >>  >
96 >>  > Thanks.
97 >>  >
98 >>  > Dale
99 >>  >
100 >>  > :-)  :-)
101 >>
102 >> DAS is direct-attached-storage. I don't think you want that.
103 >
104 > Depends. If it fits in the safe, and can be connected using one of
105 > these eSATA thingy connectors, it might be a very good choice.
106 >>
107 >> Synology (sp?) is sort of a big name in home & small office NAS
108 >> boxes. You can buy the boxes with or without drives. I suspect you
109 >> won't like the prices.
110 >
111 > I've been looking :-) I think the empty box costs more than the drives
112 > you're going to put in it ...
113 >>
114 >> I wonder if you might consider what data on your backups needs to be
115 >> immediately available and which doesn't. Possibly buy an 8TB USB
116 >> drive, take a bunch of the lower priority data off of your current
117 >> backup thus system freeing space and move on from there?
118 >>
119 >> I built my NAS devices using old computers ala Wol's suggestion to me
120 >> maybe a year ago. They work for me but don't have the fastest network
121 >> interfaces.
122 >>
123 > I get the impression Dale isn't actually PLANNING his disk storage.
124 > It's just a case of "help I'm downloading all this stuff where do I
125 > put it!!!"
126 >
127 > How much storage do you have in your actual computer? How much space
128 > do you need IN ONE PARTITION? Can you get an external disk caddy that
129 > you just slot bare drives in?
130 >
131 > I've no doubt you have good reason for wanting all this storage. I
132 > just fail to see why you need huge drives for it if most of the time
133 > you're not doing anything with it.
134 >
135 > Get yourself a basic 4-way DAS/JBOD setup, PLAN where you're putting
136 > all this stuff, and plug in and remove drives as required. You don't
137 > need all these huge drives if you think about what you're going to do
138 > with it all. (And while it takes time and hammers the system, I
139 > regularly record off the TV getting a 2GB .ts file, convert it to mp4
140 > - same resolution - and reduce the size by an order of magnitude -
141 > maybe more.
142 >
143 > If you've got two hot-swap JBOD enclosures, that's brilliant. You can
144 > stream from your media centre to a drive, swap it out, and use a
145 > second system to then organise your collection.
146 >
147 > Oh - and if you are worried about disks going walkabout, just LUKS the
148 > whole disk, and without the key nobody can read it ... build your
149 > partitions or whatever over it.
150 >
151 > Cheers,
152 > Wol
157 Getting some good info from different folks.  Picking this to reply to,
158 last message I read.  I do have a lot of data in my system.  I need the
159 info at random plus want to keep a backup copy.  If for no other reason,
160 in case I accidentally delete or overwrite something.  I've done that
161 before.  I also want backups in case of a sudden drive failure without
162 warning.  This is about my backup copy, not the drives in my system that
163 I regularly use.  I have a large Cooler Master HAF-932 case.  I still
164 got room there.  I may at some point build a NAS for regular storage and
165 everyday use.  While I would like something power efficient and able to
166 scale for that, I think a 2 bay, certainly a 4 bay, NAS will give me
167 plenty of room to grow for my backups.  A NAS for everyday use tho,
168 that's for another day.
169
170 I kinda like my current setup except that one large directory, it's to
171 big for a single external hard drive.  I need to span that data over two
172 or more drives.  That means either a NAS of some sort or another
173 system.  Since any system I build from old parts I have laying around
174 would be to large, a NAS is the best long term route.  I mentioned
175 before, I wish I could split my backup script so that about half of the
176 data goes to one drive and the other half to a 2nd drive.  If I knew of
177 a way to tell rsync to split files starting with 'a' through 'k' to one
178 drive and files starting with 'm' through 'z' to the second drive, then
179 I could span across two drives without needing LVM or similar software.
180 I'm not aware of a way to do that without a ton of work and having to
181 update my scripts each time I add or remove a directory within the
182 larger directory.
183
184 Some of this is sort of hard to put into text unless I write half a book
185 about it.  Basically, I'm needing a way to have external drives with
186 enough capacity to hold a large directory.  Also some room for growth
187 and even upgrades would be nice.  Whether I buy a prebuilt NAS or build
188 one, whichever is the better option and affordable.
189
190 Since I forgot to hit send after typing the above, I've got more replies
191 to read.
192
193 Dale
194