From: "Corentin “Nado” Pazdera" <nado@××××××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: "No CUDA device found" with nvidia-drivers newer than nvidia-drivers-396.24-r1(
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 11:39:45
1 August 15, 2018 1:16 PM, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2
3 > The wiki-page is old...it speaks of nvidia-driver-174.
4
5 Yeah, for legacy cards... If you check the history its also been updated quite frequently.
6
7 > modprobe.d/nvidia.conf:
8 > ----------------------------
9 > # Nvidia drivers support
10 > alias char-major-195 nvidia
11 > alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195
12 >
13 > # To tweak the driver the following options can be used, note that
14 > # you should be careful, as it could cause instability!! For more
15 > # options see /usr/share/doc/nvidia-drivers-396.24-r1/README
16 > #
17 > # !!! SECURITY WARNING !!!
18 > # DO NOT MODIFY OR REMOVE THE DEVICE FILE RELATED OPTIONS UNLESS YOU KNOW
19 > # WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
20 > # ONLY ADD TRUSTED USERS TO THE VIDEO GROUP, THESE USERS MAY BE ABLE TO CRASH,
21 > # COMPROMISE, OR IRREPARABLY DAMAGE THE MACHINE.
22 > options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileMode=432 NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=27
23 > NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=1
24 >
25 > modprobe.d/nvidia-rmmod.conf
26 > ----------------------------
27 > # Nvidia UVM support
28 > remove nvidia modprobe -r --ignore-remove nvidia-drm nvidia-modeset nvidia-uvm nvidia
29 >
30 > All the configurations are working all the years up to x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-396.24-r1.
31 > After that, no CUDA device was found.
32 > Based on logical reasons, I would tend to think, that it is something
33 > version specific and no global setting which is valid since
34 > nvidia-driver-174.
35
36 Updates may need to change a config file after bringing breaking changes, it might not be the cause
37 I agree. But its possible.
38
39 Is CUDA disabled on both cards? I have a 970Ti, although my MB is different, we might try to
40 compare the big differences in our systems?
43 Corentin “Nado” Pazdera