From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HP A8 laptop install
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:22:48
1 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen writes:
2
3 > On 15.05.2012 11:11, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> Stroller writes:
5 >>
6 >>> I boot from a SystemRescueCD and follow the Gentoo quick install guide.
7 >>>
8 >>> This has never failed me.
9 >>
10 >> For me it did, half a year ago, several packages failed to build due to
11 >> strange libtool errors. It took me some days until I found the solution:
12 >> unset path.
13 >>
14 >> Libtool uses this variable without unsetting it before, and SystemRescueCD
15 >> defines it as environment variable, which is still available in the
16 >> chroot. This messed things up a lot.
17 [...]
18 > Did you do env-update && . /etc/profile after entering chroot?
19 > I always thought that setting the right environment variables was the
20 > purpose of that.
21
22 Sure. But this only _sets_ some environment variables - it does not
23 unset any other variables you already have defined.
24
25 The error is in libtool - it uses a variable without unsetting it first.
26
27 Wonko