From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] updating ALL packages
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:05:57
1 My normal updating procedure is
2
3 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs --load-average=5"
4 emerge --update --changed-use --keep-going @world
5
6 I had mistakenly thought this would update all packages not at the
7 latest version (subject to package.accept_keywords, package.mask, ...).
8
9 I now realize that it only does this for the packages in world and then
10 follows the dependency tree. So if package A in world is up to date, A
11 depends of B, and a new version of B appears, B will not be updated.
12
13 As a result eix-test-obsolete finds that I have packages installed that
14 are no longer in the database.
15
16 I could do
17
18 emerge --update the-2-dozen-such-packages
19
20 Is that wise?
21
22 thanks,
23 allan
24
25 PS This system is in the midst of the multi-month bothwick "goingstable"
26 procedure. I don't know if that is relevant to the decision.
27
28 Neil Bothwick wrote:
29 >
30 > You can generate the list with
31 >
32 > qlist -ICv | sed -e 's/^/~/' -e 's/-r[1-9]$//' \
33 > >/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/goingstable
34 >
35 > This allows revision updates, which is useful as they usually contain bug
36 > or security fixes, but doesn't allow any higher versions.
37 >
38 > Occasionally running eix-test-obsolete will let you know which entries
39 > have become redundant because stable has caught up with them.
40 >
41 > I recently used it to move a machine from testing to stable. The one
42 > caveat is that sometimes the testing version your have installed, and in
43 > package.accept_keywords, is removed from the tree so portage wants to
44 > downgrade to the latest stable version. You have the choice of letting
45 > this happen or unmasking a later testing version.
46
47 [ subsequently he recommended using the latter choice ]