From: Wolfgang Liebich <wolfgang.liebich@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 13:13:16
1 Daniel Iliev schrieb:
2 > On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:46:01 +0200
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> On Friday 28 November 2008 13:14:42 Dale wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> If this is a little high, what would be the best way to defrag it?
9 >>>
10 >> By not defragging it.
13 > I beg to defer. The simplest way to defrag a partition is to make
14 > backup and restore. If it's worth the effort is another story.
17 >> It's not Windows. Windows boxes needs defragging not because
18 >> fragmentation is a huge problem in itself, but because windows
19 >> filesystems are a steaming mess of cr@p that do little right and most
20 >> things wrong. Defrag treats the symptom, not the cause :-)
24 > Personally I think NTFS is one of the things MS have done right. It is
25 > fast, stable and has the features of the Linux FSes and even more. It
26 > has journal, quotas, permissions, mount points, symbolic links. Does
27 > any of ext, reiserfs or xfs have compression and/or encryption
28 > capabilities? I don't think so.
29 > I have some experience with MS Windows and I've never seen data
30 > corruption after a system crash or power loss, a thing I can't say
31 > about ReiserFS or ext3 (when not mounted with data=journal).
35 <SNIP>
36
37 My experience with NTFS is somewhat more balanced (maybe). In about 12
38 years I experienced one damaged NTFS instance. This was caused by a
39 crash during an installation (don't remember what we installed - it's
40 been about 9 years ago :-)
41 BUT this was an example of total destruction and mayhem -- absolutely
42 irreparable. After about 120 errors (filenames with very much foreign
43 sounding names - high bit turned on) we gave up and reinstalled everything.
44 Probably the MFT was damaged beyond repair.
45
46 So my conclusion --- NTFS is not so easy to damage, but if you manage
47 it, you're toast :-/
48
49 Ciao,
50 Wolfgang Liebich