From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] No beep.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:24:16
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 I've almost got my new(ish) machine up and running. In particular, I've
4 got an email server (s/qmail) running on it, the most difficult part of
5 bringing up a new box.
6
7 However, during the building, I discovered to my disgust that there was
8 no loudspeaker in my new case. So, none of the helpful booting beeps
9 that the motherboard uses to tell us that something's wrong. Still, I
10 got past that stage.
11
12 But just typing into a virtual tty, sometimes the system (should) beep.
13 It doesn't. It should.
14
15 It should, because I compiled the kernel with CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
16 and CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE set to 1.
17
18 My loudspeakers are working, as shown by running speaker-test. I'm
19 using the kernel I think I am, verified by checking those two config
20 settings in /proc/config.gz.
21
22 Would somebody please suggest to me where I am going wrong, here?
23
24 Thanks!
27 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).