From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Strident message from mysql on emerge
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 17:25:41
1 I'm looking at my email inbox after some of the recent activity in
2 revdep-rebuilds (whew!)
3 and standing out among the exhortations is this from MySQL (int part)
4
5 WARN: unpack
6 Previous datadir found, it's YOUR job to change
7 ownership and take care of it.
10 There's something off about this. I never have used MySQL in person, though
11 I'm guessing it gets used by some packages. So what am I to make of a message
12 like this? The ownership and permissions look okay to me. And I have no
13 idea what it means to "take care of it".
14
15 I don't expect myself to be clueful about all the hundreds (thousands?) of
16 packages I have installed. I'd like them to be a bit more helpful, and perhaps
17 careful to state what the problem actually is, or might be. Courteous wouldn't
18 be a bad idea either.
19
20 ++ kevin
23 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD