From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird "df" output
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 00:28:13
1 waltdnes@××××××××.org writes:
2
3 > I'll admit that my system setup is a bit unusual. A long time ago, in
4 > a place far away, hard drives were small, compared to today's standards.
5 > The usual unix practice of multiple seprate partitions was not feasable
6 > for me, but I did want to keep root on its own partition. So I
7
8 I remember partitioning a 60MB hard disk. That was a really huge disk.
9 What's not feasible with partitioning a gigantic 500MB disk?
10
11 > compromised with a small / partition, with empty /home, /opt, /var,
12 > /usr, and /tmp directories. Their real equivalents are bind-mounted
13 > from a much larger partition.
14
15 Why don't you just mount the large partition somewhere under /mnt and
16 create symlinks to the directories that are missing on the small
17 partition?
18
19 You might need /sbin and/or /bin on the small partition itself to be
20 able to mount anything at all.
21
22 Or, why don't you copy the system to the disk that has the large
23 partition and retire the 500MB disk? That would reduce power
24 consumption and increase reliability by having less disks in use and by
25 making it more unlikely to mess up anything due to excessive
26 partitioning.
29 Not that I would do any of this. Disks always come at least in pairs
30 because redundancy is required. And since this is only one of your
31 machines, you could even run it diskless.