From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] tv tunner
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:04:39
1 On 4/19/06, Catalin Trifu <catalin@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
5 > I would like to get a TV Tunner installed on my gentoo linux box.
6 > Could you please share some of your experience with setting up
7 > a TV Tunner and which cards/software you used.
10 I've had good louck with the Hauppauge PCR-150 TV Tuner card - between
11 $60 - $80 (US), has hardware compression, so you don't chew up your
12 CPU cycles - I'm running two of the cards on a Celeron 500 system with
13 no noticable CPU overhead. They are regular analog broadcast input,
14 and they have no TV output (If you need the TV output, I believe you
15 have to go up to the PVR-350, not sure how much it is) - they also
16 come with an IR remote, which is handy if you're doing the watching
17 from the same box that the card is in - not quite as handy in a
18 dedicated recording server such as mine. :)
19
20 They use the ivtv driver, which is at least in portage, and I *think*
21 that the latest in-kernel drivers contains a recent enough ivtv driver
22 to support the card directly in the kernel, but I'm not positive.
23
24 I use MythTV (USE="backendonly" for my server, USE="frontendonly" for
25 all my home clients) for recording and viewing.
26
27 If you decide to go the PVR-150 / MythTV route, let me know if you
28 want some configuration tips, I can help out.
29
30 HTH-
31
32 James