From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 01:58:25
1 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >
4 >> If you kept your system updated all the time, you shouldnt have any
5 >> problems.
6 > Byte me.
7 >
8 > Linux is crap, it takes all the talent I have to keep this piece of junk
9 > running. =( I'm the user here, I am not going to take any lip from you
10 > about how I run my system. =| I put a great deal more work into
11 > maintaining my system than most of the rest of you.
15 Gentoo is not like binary systems. Most binary systems, you can upgrade
16 even after years of not doing any upgrading. Gentoo doesn't like that.
17 Officially Gentoo is supposed to have a upgrade max of one year. Thing
18 is, that depends on what changes has taken place in that year. There
19 are times when some major changes happen and even if it hasn't been 6
20 months since a upgrade/update, a person is just as well off to reinstall
21 and keep their sanity. That could vary depending on how complex some
22 things may be to set up again.
23
24 So, if you plan to use Gentoo, keeping a system fairly up to date is the
25 best way to avoid having to deal with some problems that leave you
26 kicking and screaming for mercy. I've found that once a week does
27 fairly well. Some on this list have posted they go a month.
28
29 Hope that helps.
30
31 Dale