From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hold on portage feature requests
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:27:29
1 Hello all,
2
3 The subject says it all: no more feature requests for portage (the package
4 manager) until further notice. This does not include submitting of patches
5 that add new features. "Further notice" will likely mean when the next major
6 version of portage becomes stable.
7
8 The reason behind this is that at approximately two thirds of bugs received
9 are feature requests and they are drowning at the real bugs. More importantly,
10 the critical bugs are becoming very hard to keep track of. This, at a time
11 when we are focusing on fixing major and critical bugs only so as to get the
12 next version completed quicker.
13
14 Most of the current feature requests will be available at the time when the
15 next version goes stable (and that which isn't should be relatively painless
16 to implement) so don't worry that things will go stagnant.
17
18 However, if you are worried, I'll be posting a weekly summary of portage bug
19 activity to gentoo-portage-dev@g.o from now on. If you'd like to join
20 the portage team or just feel like giving a quick hand, have a browse through
21 the bugs and see what fixes you can come up with.
24 Jason Stubbs