From: Francesco Turco <mail@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted drive setup at login and locking on logout.
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 03:49:36
1 On Sat, Jul 4, 2020, at 04:23, Dale wrote:
2 > Now that I have a spare drive, I want to encrypt it and have a mount point for it, /home/dale/documents for example. What I'd like to do, when I login in, it asks me for the encryption password and then mounts it. When I log out, it reverses. I'm not doing all of /home because I want to separate some info. I may do it later.
3
4 I would use LUKS (warning: all data on the spare drive will be lost):
5 0. Partition the spare drive: parted /dev/sdx
6 1. Format the drive's partition with LUKS: cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdxn
7 2. Decrypt the LUKS partition: cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdxn documents
8 3. Create a filesystem on the decrypted partition: mke2fs -t ext4 -m 0 /dev/mapper/documents
9 4. Add the new filesystem to /etc/fstab (use the UUID for easier matching)
10 5. Mount the filesystem: mount /home/dale/documents
11
12 In order to close the filesystem, you need the following steps:
13 1. Unmount the filesystem: umount /home/dale/documents
14 2. Lock the LUKS partition: cryptsetup luksClose documents
15
16 Since you use KDE you may try Vault instead, but I haven't tested that personally.
19 https://fturco.net/