From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage vs Qt
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 05:48:52
1 On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:06:00 AM Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I just updated Qt5 to 5.6.2 & ran into a familiar Portage problem.
3 >
4 > The emerge command responds with a list of "conflicts",
5 > all involving 5.6.1 vs 5.6.2 versions of the c 15 pkgs.
6 > The only way to get around this is to unmerge the existing pkgs via '-C',
7 > then install the new versions. That works, but it's brute force.
8 >
9 > Portage sb able to resolve this kind of conflict for itself.
10 > If not, then at least it should advise users intelligently
11 > to do what I've just described. It can happen with other sets of pkgs.
12 >
13 > Yes, I did do 'backtrack==30'.
14 >
15 > Before I send in a bug, does anyone else have useful comments ?
16
17 I did exactly the same upgrade on 2 machines, along with an entire plasma
18 upgrade, and didn't encounter this issue.
19
20 For comparison, this is what I generally use:
21
22 # emerge -vauDN --with-bdeps=y @world
23 # emerge -va --depclean
24
25 Do you only upgrade subsets? Or the full world?
26 I found that with libraries like qt, python and similar, only upgrading those
27 makes it impossible for portage to properly handle the blockers.
30 Joost