From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] compressing pdf file
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:16:09
1 > On 22 Feb 2017, at 22:12, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
2 >
3 > Thelma:
4 >> I have scaned pdf file (88-page) 23MB in size (downloaded this way).
5 >> Trying to reduce the size of the file I [...]
6 >
7 > Why don't you extract the images with pdfimages from the pdf and
8 > compress them with xv or convert (imagemagic) and maybe gimp can
9 > comress them also. Don't know how to get them back into a pdf though.
10
11 +1
12
13 I do this regularly.
14
15 Documents scanned with the Google Drive application on my phone store jpeg images in a PDF (if you OCR in Google Drive or Docs it adds text).
16
17 Extracting from PDFs produced by my solicitor's document system results in some weird bitmaps with inverted colours, but I assume these are the exception rather than the rule. I would love to hear about it if anyone else has similar problems.
18
19 If you have jpeg, bmp, tiff &/or png images then Gimp's "save for web" feature is wonderful. You can also enhance images by using the "colour levels" tool first - select the white pipette and click on the whitest area of the paper, then select the black pipette and click on the thickest part of the blackest printer letter character.
20
21 Stroller.