From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Mystery network traffic
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:54:21
1 On Friday 30 Sep 2016 04:17:29 Grant wrote:
2 > >>I was watching cbm on one of my machines and it showed a lot more
3 > >>traffic going in and out over lo than over both of the two real
4 > >>interfaces. Is that normal? One of those two real interfaces is
5 > >>completely unused and shows zeros in cbm all the time.
6 > >>
7 > >>- Grant
8 > >>
9 > > Yes, I would consider this normal.
10 > >
11 > > What is running on that machine?
12 > >
13 > > 'lo' is used for all traffic between localhost and localhost.
14 > >
15 > > IOW, all internal communications, like apache talking to the database if
16 > > both running on the same host. Or postfix to amavis to postfix before
17 > > mail gets delivered.
18 >
19 > I had no idea. Thank you Joost.
20 >
21 > - Grant
22
23 Some services will listen to localhost network sockets, others may listen to
24 unix sockets by default. Some services can be configured to use either.
25 netstat, lsof, ss, will show you both.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick