From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] processor speed
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 00:30:41
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM, wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I'm using an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor. I bought it six or
6 > > seven years ago when it was brand-new. It still works to my
7 > > satisfaction. But of course recent CPUs (for example AMD Ryzen) are
8 > > much faster. Therefore I wanna buy an AMD Threadripper next year.
9 > > This should be an enormous speedup. :-)
12 > Having just upgraded one of those to a Ryzen 5 1600 I can tell you
13 > that besides tripling your kernel build speeds, it will also sound
14 > less like a hair dryer and make your room feel less like it has a
15 > space heater inside.
16
17 I have a huge cooler and a big 140mm fan on top of the CPUs. That plus
18 noise absorbing cases with some huge slow rotating fans makes my PCs
19 nearly silent. However when running under full load its a little bit
20 annoying. As workaround I then rise the volume of my stereo a bit. ;-)
21
22 I'm not sure what TDP my Phenoms have (95W or 125W). The TDP of the
23 1950X is rated at 180W. But this is for all cores running at full load.
24 So the effective heat output over time should be lower than with my old
25 CPUs.
26
27 > That said, I'd check any chip you buy for the week number to ensure
28 > that it doesn't have the segfault issue if you're going to use it with
29 > Gentoo.
30
31 I read about the problem regarding Ryzen and Linux. That's one reason
32 why I didn't bought it yet. Then I read about the new AMD 1950X and
33 decided to wait some months until the price of this CPU has dropped a
34 bit and its potentially existing childhood diseases are cured.
35
36 Because of the high price for the whole machine (board, ram, cpu...)
37 I will replace my two PCs (one Windoze and one Gentoo) with a single
38 machine. However I have some concerns regarding dualboot. I would
39 prefer NVMe SSDs but I think it may be better to use eSATA disks. Then
40 I easily can switch the disks and it should be impossible that one OS
41 can compromise the other.
42
43 Or is there another way to proper isolate the systems?
44
45 > I am using mine with ECC RAM and can report that seems to work fine,
46 > though you should check for MB recommendations for that.
47
48 I also plan to use ECC RAM. For image processing I need a lot of RAM.
49 And the more RAM, the more risk for memory corruption.
50
51 Before I buy new stuff I have to read a lot of information. Since I
52 bought my hardware many years ago I lose touch with the actual
53 hardware development.
54
55 Hopefully the price for RAM will drop before I buy the new rig. It's
56 incredible high at the moment.
59 Regards
60 wabe