From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT but interesting nonetheless...
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:56:08
1 Am Dienstag 27 September 2011, 04:05:31 schrieb Grant Edwards:
2 > On 2011-09-27, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 09/26/11 16:13, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > >> That's hilarious.
5 > >>
6 > >> The Linux developers are _constantly_ changing APIs in ways that break
7 > >> existing device driver code. There are repeatedly wholesale
8 > >> re-designs of some APIs that happen between minor versions of a
9 > >> supposedly "stable" kernel.
10 > >>
11 > >> We have to touch our NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers maybe once every 3-4
12 > >> years. Often our Linux drivers have to be updated every 3-4 _months_
13 > >> to keep up with changes in the kernel that break things.
14 > >>
15 > >> I suppose one could try to claim that people who ship Linux drivers
16 > >> for their hardware aren't "users" of the kernel, and therefore our
17 > >> dealing with such breakage isn't a "user experience".
18 > >
19 > > Contribute your drivers upstream. When the devs change an API, they'll
20 > > update your code for you.
21 >
22 > That sounds good, but in practice it doesn't work.
23 >
24 > 1) The kernel developers don't support any existing customers. Bugs
25 > are only fixed for customers who are willing to run the next
26 > kernel verison. I've got customers that are still running 2.4
27 > kernels. 2.6.18 is still widely used. Will the kernel developers
28 > add new features, support for new hardware, or fix bugs for those
29 > customers. Not a chance.
30
31 so what? There are long term stable kernels with no api changes. Hmm...
34 > 2) The kernel developers only make sure that drivers compile. They
35 > don't have the hardware or knowlege required to actually test
36 > them. One of our drivers _is_ in the kernel. Sure, it builds,
37 > but AFAIK, it hasn't actually worked for at least 10 years.
38
39 and nobody complains on lkml about it - seems that nobody uses your hardware.
40
41 If something stops working (called a 'regression' btw) it has to be fixed.
42 Linus is very clear about that.
45 > Trying to maintain two drivers (one in-kernel and one out-of-kernel)
46 > just creates twice as much work for no gain.
47
48 then don't be outside the kernel.
51 #163933