From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg on really old PC
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:02:00
1 On 2018-08-30, François-Xavier CARTON wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'm installing Gentoo on a really old PC (with a Pentium III and a
6 > i815 graphic card). I've installed a minimal Gentoo system, and I'm
7 > trying to get Xorg working.
8 >
9 > I've searched on the Gentoo wiki, and found that I should use an old
10 > version of mesa (<8.0) to get OpenGL support [1]. So I have masked
11 > recent versions of mesa and some Xorg packages in order to install the
12 > last version of mesa that is below 8.0. My package.mask is:
13 >>media-libs/mesa-7.10.3
14 >>=app-eselect/eselect-opengl-1.2.6
15 >>x11-proto/glproto-1.4.15
16 >>x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.4-r5
17 > I have no xorg.conf.
18
19 Perhaps try an older linux kernel, from the same time as the versions of
20 X11 and mesa that you are trying to run.
21
22 Running a system like this is going to be harder now, though, because
23 the X11 headers were reorganized, and packages which use X11 now depend
24 on the newer headers, which will most likely pull in the new
25 xorg-server.
26
27 > When I run startx, the screen goes black and the Xorg server
28 > segfaults, according to the log file [2]. Nothing works after that,
29 > including the keyboard, so I cannot go back to a linux console. Maybe
30 > it is a configuration issue, or maybe I'm using a buggy version. Has
31 > anyone any suggestion on what configuration and versions I should use?
32 >
33 > Thanks,
34 > François-Xavier Carton
35 >