From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A tale of computing thud and blunder
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 12:48:37
1 On 12/18/2011 10:49 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > Just like with any other optimization switch, there can be bugs. If
4 > Gentoo says it doesn't support graphite, then I'd stay away from it
5 > because Gentoo devs might not listen to your bug reports if you use
6 > it.
7
8 I've been using gcc with graphite support for about a year or so and
9 I've had zero problems so far. (I should also mention that I haven't
10 measured how much difference it makes, either.)
11
12 Very important to notice that *building* gcc with graphite support is
13 not at all the same as *using* graphite support while compiling.
14
15 To actually *use* your graphite support, you must include these CFLAGS
16 while compiling each package:
17
18 -floop-block -floop-strip-mine -floop-interchange
19
20 That implies that you can turn off graphite support by removing those
21 flags and recompiling your buggy package before filing a bug report.
22 (I did that only once and discovered that it didn't change the bug
23 at all.)
24
25 IIRC, gcc doesn't use those flags while compiling itself, but I could
26 be mistaken about that. I'll check again next time I compile gcc.