From: Tristan Mills <twem2@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eclipse IDE For Java
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:19:49
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > Hi, once again...
3 >
4 > I'm taking a Computer Science class in school, and they use Java for
5 > this class. I decided to try using Eclipse, a popular Java IDE,
6 > however, Eclipse appears to be masked (see # emerge --search eclipse
7 > output below). I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any
8 > suggestions?
9
10 A bit late perhaps, but I (and several colleagues) use Eclipse on Gentoo
11 every day at work.
12 We have all found the best solution is to download from the website and
13 unpack it. The version in portage is very old (the 3.2 milestones are
14 stable enough for everyday use) and its easier to manage and install
15 plugins.
16
17 Eclipse is great once you've used it a little (even with our bizarre
18 homebrew build systems at work) and its windowing toolkit looks far
19 better than AWT or Swing.
20
21 HTH
22 Tristan