From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl has been very slow
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 18:55:49
1 On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 1:42 PM Skippy <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I created the symlink as you instructed and it appears to be working.
4 > When I enable use of youtube-dl in gPodder I get no error messages. I
5 > just added a youtube feed and am downloading some videos.
6 >
7
8 Keep in mind that some APIs might break and others might not, so
9 whether there is a problem is going to depend on a lot of details.
10 One program might work with this workaround, and another might fail in
11 subtle ways. So, it isn't a good idea to just symlink this for all
12 users.
13
14 However, as you seem to have found, it may work in some cases, and if
15 it does that is great. I imagine you aren't using much software that
16 makes use of the python APIs, so the risks are fairly low if you are
17 happy with what you found in testing.
18
19 > In regards to filing a bug - I'm unclear exactly what the bug is. Is
20 > the bug the fact that gPodder will not use yt-dlp in place of youtube-dl
21 > without your work-around?
22
23 Correct. The fact that you didn't run into issues will probably be
24 useful feedback as well.
25
26 --
27 Rich