From: Fernando Antunes <fs.antunes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:05:33
1 On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>wrote:
3
4 > Can anybody point me to a hint on how to configure synaptics touchapad
5 > sensitivity?
6 >
7 > The touchpad on my Thinkpad T500 is so sensitive you don't even have
8 > to touch it. Merely bringing a thumb or finger within 1/8 - 1/4 inch
9 > will cause the cursor to twitch spasmodically for a second and then
10 > jump to the lower left corner of the screen. Once you have a finger
11 > on the touchpad, it seems to work OK.
12 >
13 > I've figured out how to disable it temporarily using the "xinput"
14 > command, but I would like to actually get it working right.
15 >
16 > All the docs I can find seem to assume two things:
17 >
18 > 1) an xorg.conf file
19 >
20 > 2) the xf86-input-synpatics driver
21 >
22 > I'm using neither.
23 >
24 > I decided finally to give in and let Xorg use HAL like it wants to by
25 > default when you do a Gentoo install.
26 >
27 > I have a Thinkpad T61 and I do not use xorg.conf. But I am using HAL. The
28 touchpad works pretty good.
29
30 You can adjust synaptics changing the configuration on the
31 /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi file.
32 man 4 synaptic can give you a lot of extra options.
35 > What a huge mistake. I really, really hate HAL. With xorg.conf, all
36 > the settings were in one file, in an easy to read, easy to edit
37 > format. Now with HAL, they're scattered over several files. And to
38 > make sure you can't edit or read them, they're in XML. I have no idea
39 > what "problem" HAL is supposed to be solving, but it apprently wasn't
40 > a problem I ever had -- AFAICT HAL is nothing but pain.
41 >
42 > --
43 > Grant