From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The End Is Near ... or, get the vaseline, they're on the way!
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:35:12
1 On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 01:04:04 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > - */bin vs */sbin is one. Nothing to do with security, but */sbin can
4 > go in root's PATH and apps that only makes sense when run as root (eg
5 > mkfs) go there. This avoids cluttering the display with useful crap
6 > from tab-completion.
7
8 Agreed
9
10 > - / vs /usr/local. I like this one, everything I build and install
11 > myself without help from the package manager goes here. On FreeBSD it
12 > means I used ports to install the stuff and it's not in world. I do
13 > need this distinction in my world. Perl CPAN too for the same reasons.
14
15 That too, or you can move all system stuff from /usr to / and put user
16 stuff in a directory with an appropriate name, something that reflects
17 its purpose, maybe something like /usr.
18
19 > - /opt. Um yeah, OK. So we have these things called proprietary apps
20 > where devs just want to make a directory specially for their app and
21 > dump everything belong it. OK, as a scheme, it works. I don't like
22 > it but I don't have a better idea.
23
24 Yep.
25
26 > / vs /usr is the only one I don't need myself, as /usr is not read-only
27 > (a very valid use case) and I don't have thin clients on the network.
28
29 Separating system and user-compiled/installed software makes sense.
30 Separating root and general programs makes sense.
31 Separating system programs and libraries based on fairly arbitrary, and
32 moveable, criteria does not make sense to me.
33
34 As for making /usr read-only; it is generally only writeable by root and
35 anyone with the root password could remount rw anyway, so there's not much
36 point there.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 Ninety-Ninety Rule Of Project Schedules - The first ninety percent of
43 the task takes ninety percent of the time, and the last ten percent
44 takes the other ninety percent of the time.