From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:31:28
1 On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:25:00 +0100
2 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick writes:
5 >
6 > > On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:01:50 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > If you instantly need more space, reduce the amount of reserved
9 > > > space for the superuser, which is 5% as default:
10 > > > tune2fs -m 2 /dev/your/partition
11 > > > Don't reduce it to 0, the lower this value is, the more
12 > > > fragmentation you will get.
13 > >
14 > > Why is that? I would have expected more usable space to reduce the
15 > > need for fragmentation. I routinely use 0 on non-system filesystems.
16 >
17 > I read this often, and to me it seems to make sense. When a file
18 > system is nearly full, writing a last big file will make the file
19 > being cluttered along all those tiny places where some free space is
20 > still left. And this probably already happens to some extent before
21 > the filesystem is completely full.
22 >
23 > Now, which values for reserved percentage are good, I don't know.
24
25 The 5% figure is completely arbitrary and dates back many years. There
26 was no good reason then for it to be exactly 5%, it just happened to
27 mostly work fine. Remember that was a time when 250M was a BIG drive. 5%
28 is 2.5K and that is about the size of the largest single file people
29 realistically were using.
30
31 So 5% wiggle room for root lets you manipulate the last single file
32 you were using when the drive filled up, and hence save the day. These
33 days 2TB file systems are common and 5% means 20G.
34
35 How many 20G files do you routinely have on a single file system? Media
36 drives aside, a few meg is still about the broad average file size. It
37 is just not realistic to reserve emergency wiggle room for root that
38 amounts to 20,000 average files.
39
40 It means there's no single sane default anymore. On my servers I set
41 reserved space to 100M or so as that's what I need. I reckon the
42 average person should keep it to somewhat larger than the biggest
43 single file you expect to store on that file system.
47 > This probably depends much on the typical size of files on that
48 > partition, and usage patterns. For large movies on your data
49 > partition, it probably does not matter, but for my system partitions
50 > (/root, /usr, /var, /tmp, portage stuff) I just keep it at 5%.
51 >
52 > With the benefit that I can instantly free some space in /var when
53 > it's just become full, without needing to decide what to delete.
54 > Okay, in practice this does not matter much because resizing the LVM
55 > and resizing the FS is also a matter of seconds only.
56 >
57 > Wonko
63 Alan McKinnnon
64 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com