From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compositing too slow in KDE
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:36:02
1 On 03/22/2011 11:57 PM, Mick wrote:
2 >> My kernel is 2.6.36-r5 gentoo-sources running on the AMD Athlon II X4
3 >> machine:
4 >> $ zgrep RADEON /proc/config.gz
5 >> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
6 >> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
7 >> CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
8 >> CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y
9 >> CONFIG_FB_RADEON_BACKLIGHT=y
10 >> # CONFIG_FB_RADEON_DEBUG is not set
13 >> Wonderfully wobbly windows once again, without widespread (and
14 >> unwelcomed) untimely terminations.
15 >
16 > How can you use x11-drivers/radeon-ucode (with KMS) *and* CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y ?
17 >
18 > On two machines of mine I end up with a blank screen if I add a framebuffer
19 > driver.
20
21 I don't know, Mick. I have FB_MODE_HELPERS=y? or maybe because I have
22
23 CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
24 CONFIG_DRM_TTM=m
25
26 these won't kick in until the module loads. Also, I use genkernel to
27 build all the init stuff for me. I also have MTRR sanitizer turned on.
28 Here are the other kernel settings I have, again, on the Athlon II X4
29 system, that could be relevant:
30
31 CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL=m
32 CONFIG_FB=y
33 CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
34 CONFIG_FB_DDC=y
35 CONFIG_FB_BOOT_VESA_SUPPORT=y
36 CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
37 CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
38 CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
39
40 Now last night on my Phenom 940, I was unable to get KDE to remain
41 stable unless I turned on KMS. Now that system, too, is stable as far as
42 the half hour of testing I performed was able to show.