From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 21:20:53
1 James wrote:
2 > Felix Miata <mrmazda <at> earthlink.net> writes:
5 >> 1-I just find upgrade processes more enjoyable than inital installations and
6 >> their follow-up tedium getting from defaults back to the way I like things
7 >> to work.
8 >
9 >> Now that I've seen several thread responses subsequent to this one, I'm
10 >> leaning towared just doing a fresh installation, but I'm curious about what
11 >> would happen by trying, and how long it really would take.
12 > Interesting choice:: how do you like your choices, Felix?
15 > To the wider list of gentoo hacks::
16 >
17 > Still think we do not need an easier installation semantic? If he decides to
18 > 'upgrade' there will be tons of man-hours spent on this effort. If we had a
19 > mostly unattended basic installation semantic (proceedure/install) I bet he
20 > (Felix) would choose that pathway. Felix, care to comment?
23 > If we (gentoo) had a simple installation semantic, this sort of problem
24 > would most likely disappear; so the wider community could delve into other
25 > technical support issues...... YMMV.
28 > James
31 For me, it wouldn't matter if Gentoo had a installer or not. It still
32 would be faster to do a fresh install even without a installer. So, it
33 doesn't matter really. Most of the install time is waiting on a
34 compile, especially on a older and slower machine.
35
36 Dale
37