From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Packages from overlays
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 06:52:45
1 I've gotten this mail twice now.
2
3 On Saturday 13 January 2007 07:28, Dale wrote:
4 > Kent Fredric wrote:
5 > > It would appear google has updated their package without changing the
6 > > name, and portage has not been notified of this change.
7
8 It's the other way around. He gets a digest verification error *because*
9 portage was notified. The old ebuild gets removed because it's tarball is now
10 unavailable upstream (and a new is available under the same name).
11
12 [SNIP]
13 > > and that should fix you up. I found it still compiles and runs fine
14 > > *shrugs*
15
16 Not much of a fix. Just gets the old version. Of course it still compiles and
17 runs. It hasn't changed at all.
18
19 [SNIP]
20 > While I know that it comes from Google and I don't question the tarball from
21 > a security point of view, portage still complains about it each time and
22 > deletes it for me, since it thinks it is a security problem. That would
23 > normally be a great idea but then I have to download it again, which takes a
24 > little over two hours for me. I get about 10Mbs a hour here.
25 [SNIP]
26
27 I can't help wondering. If you don't have the bandwidth to upgrade when there
28 is an upgrade. How useful is googleearth to you then. It's not like it
29 doesn't require any bandwidth just to run... Also the more often you sync the
30 more bandwidth you need with Gentoo in general..
33 Bo Andresen