From: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Is EVMS dead?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:44:57
1 On Nov,Tuesday 6 2007, at 3:07 AM, Albert Hopkins wrote:
4 > On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 18:01 -0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
7 >> given that I frequently play the role of the heretic (complete with
8 >> burn scars
9 >> all over my body and various bits of damage from the weapons of
10 >> true believers)
11 >> I think it's a good thing that EVMS is slated for the trash heap.
12 >> It's a
13 >> classic example of "second system syndrome" as defined by "the
14 >> mythical Man
15 >> month". It's overly complicated, poorly documented, and has a
16 >> terrible user
17 >> interface that only a geek would even consider using.
18 >>
19 >> Having said that, I also think LVMS suffers from many if not all of
20 >> the same
21 >> problems that plagued EVMS. it is been around for years and still
22 >> the
23 >> documentation on how to perform common operations is lacking. It's
24 >> a chicken
25 >> and egg problem. You need to understand LVMS in order to
26 >> understand the
27 >> documentation and then you can't explain it to anyone else. Every
28 >> time I've
29 >> used LVMS, it takes me the same number of hours to relearn the same
30 >> old pieces
31 >> of obscure command syntax and become comfortable that I'm not going
32 >> to trash my
33 >> disk. As a result, I don't use LVMS either.
34 >>
35 > I've never used EVMS so I can't comment at all on it. However I have
36 > been using LVM for years and one of the few good things I can say
37 > about
38 > it is that its pretty small, easy, and predictable. In fact one of the
39 > negative things I'd have to say about it is that it's *too* simple
40 > (a LV
41 > defrag tool would be nice). I really don't understand the complexity
42 > you speak of. It's pretty well documented, and has a fairly high
43 > user-base.
44 >
45 > I do agree though that, based on this ML and IRC discussions, many
46 > times
47 > I'll see a person who wants to use LVM and perhaps maybe they don't
48 > need
49 > it, and they get frustrated because they're using the wrong tool for
50 > the
51 > job. Myself: I have a 8 2-disk RAID volumes with LVM on top. If I
52 > need
53 > to expand my VG, I just pop in a couple of new drives, to an
54 > lvextend on
55 > a volume and then "mount -o remount,resize" and voila!
56 >
57 > On another machine I have xen and I have 2 VGs: a set of disks for the
58 > Host and a set for the VMs. I have some VMs in a DMZ, and I can't
59 > reach
60 > them from the host, but I use LVM to create snapshots of their disks
61 > and
62 > make backup of them. LVM makes it damn easy. In some ways LVM is
63 > like a
64 > poor-man's SAN for Xen VMs. You can carve out a LV, assign it to a
65 > VM,
66 > and resize, hot-add or hot-remove them as you please.
67 >
68 > But again, the average person with a single disk running on a laptop
69 > computer probably has no use for LVM.
70 >
71 > Pretty much every major "server" OS has volume management (including
72 > Windows) because a lot of users at that level need it. Linu LVM, I
73 > think, is very similar to HP-UX LVM at the command level.
74 AFAIK an who has written linux LVM worked for HP.
75
76 Regards
77
78 Adam.