From: Ralf <ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with power management of SATA hard drives
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:16:14
1 On 06/11/2014 03:40 PM, thegeezer wrote:
2 > 50 seconds is very small timeout, be wary of spinup/spindown cycles
3 > which imho are worse than always spinning.
4 For sure, I know, this was only for testing purposes, to see if it
5 works. I don't want to wait ten minutes, or even an hour to see that it
6 actually does not work :-)
7 >
8 > depending on what is accessing /dev/sdb you might find that it sleeps
9 > then immediately is woken. lsof is your friend here.
10 > this is how I do it (my time is ten mins)
11 Nope, the filesystem isn't even mounted.
12 >
13 > # /etc/conf.d/hdparm
14 > # or, you can set hdparm options for all drives
15 > all_args="-S120"
18 > then..
19 > # /etc/init.d/hdparm start
20 And nope, it does not spin down.
21
22 It only spins down if I force it with hdparm -y
23
24 Cheers,
25 Ralf