From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 00:03:37
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 6:30 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> One thing I like about the Raspberry option, I can upgrade it later. I
4 >> can simply take out the old, put in new, upgrade done. If I buy a
5 >> prebuilt NAS, they pretty much are what they are if upgrading isn't a
6 >> option. Some of the more expensive ones may be upgradable, maybe.
7 > The NAS gets you a nice box. The nice box means fixed capacity.
8 >
9 > I just use USB3 external hard drives. They're cheaper and easy to
10 > interface. USB3 also has been less likely to give me ATA interface
11 > errors compared to SATA.
12 >
13 >> I just wonder, could I use that board and just hook it to my USB port
14 >> and a external power supply and skip the Raspberry Pi part? I'd bet not
15 >> tho. ;-)
16 > Not that one, but USB3-SATA interfaces exist and aren't that
17 > expensive. You can also get nice little enclosures. You can have as
18 > many hard drives as you want on a PC that way, or whatever the USB3
19 > limit is.
22 One thing about all the recent upgrades, I have extra hard drives.
23 Also, if I go the Raspberry path and can still use cryptsetup, LVM etc,
24 I can just move the drives I'm currently using and may not even have to
25 move a lot of data around.  Just insert a drive, add another drive with
26 LVM to increase space and done for the large directory.  Then in other
27 two bays, do the same or have two different LVM pools or whatever they
28 called.  All total, OS and all, I have almost 42TBs of storage inside my
29 running system.  I have a 16TB new drive for backup of large directory
30 and a 8TB and 6TB for other data backups which include /root, my
31 Documents directory and such.
32
33 One way or another, I'm going to figure this out.  lol  I got too.  ;-)
34
35 I think back sometimes, I started out with a 30GB hard drive waaaay back
36 in 2003.  I thought I had problems then.  O_O
37
38 Dale
39