From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome audio (mixer) question [SOLVED YET AGAIN]
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:08:03
1 On 10/25/2009 08:19 AM, walt wrote:
2
3 > Merging gnome-media with the pulseaudio USE flag breaks
4 > gnome-volume-control most horribly IMO, but OTOH I don't
5 > understand pulseaudio, so maybe I'm wrong.
6
7 I found the gnome 2.26 upgrade guide, which points to the
8 pulseaudio documentation.
9
10 It seems that pulseaudio has its own mixer control (not
11 included in gentoo's pulseaudio package) so maybe it does
12 make sense to remove that function from gnome's volume
13 control applet.
14
15 However, the most important thing I learned is that I have
16 no use whatever for pulseaudio -- and I doubt that many
17 other people do, either.
18
19 It seems to be a massively complex solution hunting for a
20 problem. How many of us want/need to play two or more
21 soundtracks at the same time?
22
23 If I'm wrong about this, please correct me. I'd like to
24 know why all those devs spent so much energy building it.
25
26 Thanks.