From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:57:28
1 On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Should I make feature requests?
6 First, don't believe every post you read in gentoo-user. Just as you
7 can post anything you want here, so can anybody else. People offer
8 advice they think is helpful. That doesn't mean it is necessarily
9 correct, and that statement isn't directed at anybody in particular.
10 Anytime there is a post on -user you'll see about 5 right answers and
11 5 wrong answers, and the person who knows the least (the person asking
12 the question) gets to decide which one is which. Short of moderating
13 the list we don't really have a solution for that. Something like
14 stack exchange might be useful here.
15
16 As I already said (in one of the emails you haven't replied to yet),
17 we're fairly aware that portage output isn't very helpful here, and it
18 is something people are interested in changing. I don't really see
19 the point in asking for a feature request, since it is already
20 well-known.
21
22 I would recommend trying out my suggestion of adding --backtrack=50
23 before doing anything else. If that doesn't work, then try emerge
24 -1'ing the various packages listed as requiring the older version of
25 the library.
28 Rich