From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and LABELS in fstab
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 04:09:05
1 Dale asks:
2
3 > OK. Everyone duck, I been thinking on this and Neils info above. lol
4 > This is what I sort of figured out and tell me where I am off here. I
5 > have to reduce the file system, change the partition in cfdisk (?),
6 > resize the lv, then reduce the vg, then I can run pvmove? After all
7 > that, I can remove the drive sdb? Do I have the order correct too? If
8 > it does involve all this, I'm not sure I want to do this. The file
9 > system and cfdisk part makes me nervous. Maybe some of this isn't
10 > needed and I am reading some of the info incorrectly, I hope.
11
12 No need for cfdisk. Just shrink the file system, and then the logical
13 volume. You can keep the VG as it is, as you move stuff around inside
14 the same VG. BTW, I also tend to make lots of partitions on a drive, all
15 belonging to the same VG, so I can more easily change things later. Like
16 freeing a partition in case some other OS needs space for itself or
17 something like that.
18 I tend to shrink the file system to a size somewhat smaller than the
19 logical volume, just in case there is some additional header or
20 something, or different utilities use different units (megabytes vs.
21 mibibytes). Calling resize2fs afterwards enlarges the FS to the maximum
22 size.
23
24 I wrote a script to automate this, it also takes care of a LUKS volume
25 on the LVM. And is easier to use than doing all those steps in a row.
26 And I trust it more than me making a typo in one of those commands. But
27 I don't think I would use such a thing written by some guy, and prefer
28 to just do it myself.
29
30 Wonko