From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plesk...
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:45:26
1 Mal Herring wrote:
2 > Hi List,
3 > Anyone ever installed Plesk onto a Gentoo server ?
4 >
5 > Can it be done and if so how did you find the install ?
6 >
7 > Got someone wanting me to install a Plesk box for them and I don't want
8 > to have to use Red-Hat
9 >
10 > Thanks in advance.
11
12 Good luck! :)
13
14 Actually, it's very difficult as Plesk relies both on knowing the
15 location of certain files (which gentoo doesn't always keep in the same
16 place as other distributions - apache2 being an example) and the
17 installation of some of it's own utilities and programs (all of which
18 come in RPM format).
19
20 While it is (in the long run) possible to setup Plesk on a gentoo
21 server, it's not supported by Plesk and it's not as simple as just
22 downloading the RPMs and running an ebuild. AFAIK, no-one has a
23 successful installation!
24
25 I would like to try myself, but our company has too much on the go at
26 the moment and I can't spare the time to try. Good luck though.
27
28 (BTW, I use CentOS 4.1 - although ur better with 3.4, as it's a bitch to
29 get the dependencies correct on 4.1 and upgrades are difficult.)
32 Jonathan Wright ~ mail at djnauk.co.uk
33 ~ www.djnauk.co.uk
34 --
35 2.6.12-gentoo-r9-djnauk-b1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.80GHz
36 up 1:48, 2 users, load average: 1.24, 0.93, 0.60
37 --
38 "A study done in the Des Moines public schools showed that the
39 average high school student hears anti-gay comments like 'dyke' and
40 'faggot' a stunning 26 times a day, and that teachers who witness
41 such incidents do nothing a shocking 97 percent of the time. The
42 results of this kind of behavior for gay and lesbian students is
43 terrifying."
44
45 ~ Martina Navratilova
46 --