From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: DNS Issues [Was: [gentoo-user] Re: Slow Login, Sudo, etc.]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:00:50
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 15:50 on Wednesday 13 October 2010, daid kahl
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > I guess what might be helpful right now is how to purge my networking
5 > stuff and just start it all from scratch. There is so much garbage
6 > installed right now so I can hack it together that it's just a mess
7 > (this happened because I can get it to function eventually, yuck).
10 Some tips that will get you sorted about 19 times out of 20:
11
12 Yes, purge all the /etc/init/net.<interface> stuff. I've yet to get that
13 method to work on notebooks, which can be anywhere anyplace when started up.
14 That system is great for servers and desktops that don't move around, lousy
15 for notebooks.
16
17 Dump NetworkManager. This too I never got to work reliably, if at all. It
18 seems to want to hook into the distro default stuff, meaning /etc/init.d/net.*
19 and has the same issues.
20
21 Use wicd. Really, use wicd.
22
23 All your problems will just magically go away. It is designed to do what
24 notebooks need done - dynamically connect to the best network connection at
25 any given time. It's highly scriptable too.
26
27 The number of people here over the years complaining about nm is obscene.
28 The number of people here over the years complaining about wicd is close to 0.
29
30 Seriously, just use wicd, dump the rest.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com