From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VMWare Hypervisor - SD vs CF card?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:48:50
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 Ok, here's my dilemma...
4
5 I have some new Dell R515 servers (12 bay versions). These do not have
6 any Dell supported internal SD (or CF) card options for the hypervisor,
7 but they do have an internal 2.5" dual SATA/SAS drive cage, for running
8 a bootable OS (in my case the ESXi hypervisor)...
9
10 Well, I really hate the idea of wasting money and disk space (for 2
11 146GB SAS drives to be run in a mirror, what is being recommended to me)
12 on something that only requires about 32MB to install (the hypervisor)
13 when apparently there is a really cool option like:
14
15 for CF cards:
16 http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahdcf.php
17
18 or
19
20 for SD cards:
21 http://www.addonics.com/products/ad2sahdcf.php
22
23 I could get 2 of these for each server, each with a mirrored pair of CF
24 (or SD) cards (mirror mode is defined by a jumper or switch on the
25 adapter), then mirror those (in the BIOS), which would result in a total
26 of FOUR CF (or SD) redundant cards (a mirror of 2 mirrored pairs) for
27 the hypervisor... and I can do this for quite a bit less than even a
28 SINGLE 146GB SAS drive...
29
30 Is there any reason NOT to do this?
31
32 What am I missing (other than the fact that Dell won't support this
33 config, but I'm not using them for software support anyway)?
34
35 Appreciate any/all comments...
36
37 Charles