From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dell laptop install fail
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:59:50
1 On Thursday 16 April 2009 13:34:02 Adam Carter wrote:
2 > Much like http://bugs.gentoo.org/26150 the ia64 boot cd is not recognised
3 > and the bios falls through to boot the hard disk. Knoppix boots fine, but
4 > if i were to try to install from 32 bit knoppix it will fail as soon as I
5 > chroot as i would then be attempting to run 64 bit binaries from the stage3
6 > tarball using the 32 bit knoppix kernel. Do i understand that correctly?
7 > And if so, what are my options for installing 64 bit gentoo?
8 >
9 > tnx
10
11 First, no HTML mail here. The majority of users don't like it.
12
13 Second, you can't use ia64 on a Dell laptop - I sincerely doubt you have
14 Itanium chips in it. You want amd64.
15
16 You other question is correct, you can't run 64 bit stuff from a 32 bit
17 kernel.
18 --
19 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com