From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New xorg.conf with x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 12:15:49
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > - only Linux has udev. Other OSes may not need, want or be willing to touch
4 > udev with a bargepole.
5
6 Yes, udev is linux only. Replace udev with whatever is available on
7 other platforms in that diagram. I just used linux as an example...
8 Sorry for not making it clear.
9
10 > But you have that in the current setup. Hal (for better or worse) is the
11 > daemon. dbus is simply a message transport and can be omitted from the
12 > conceptual diagram
13
14 Why is dbus needed? Why can't the user space apps talk to the user space
15 daemon directly? To me it's just another unnecessary layer, each layer
16 needs some kind of translation and thus resources. To me hal or whatever
17 may replace it should have a minimalist approach.
18
19 > You could be forced to use Windows...
20
21 Well, the way I see it, some people/projects are aiming to create a new
22 "Windows".
23
24 But I'm doing a "don Quijote" here...
25
26 Best regards
27
28 Peter K