From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet radio?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 23:49:09
1 On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> My dad is interested in some sort of an Internet Radio app for his
6 >>> Gnome desktop. He was thinking of buying a Slingbox but has backed off
7 >>> the idea. For a while we played with iTunes under Wine but that's sort
8 >>> of a mess so I'm looking for something native to Linux.
9 >>
10 >> I don't understand what Slingbox has to do with internet radio. Amarok
11 >> 2 (not gnome) has hundreds of internet radio stations in it...
12 >>
13 >> I think most of them are just mp3 streams, so if you get the URL from
14 >> anywhere out there on the web you should be able to play it with any
15 >> media player I would think. Check out shoutcast.com.
16 >
17 > Am I wrong about the product name? It was specifically a stand alone
18 > Internet radio player. It looks like a clock radio almost that sits by
19 > the bed. I'm not finding it on their site now. Wonder if they
20 > discontinued it? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong company. It used to
21 > show up on the Pandora site but I don't see it there either.
22 >
23 > Anyway, I should have stated that he has almost no interest in
24 > listening to music. He wants to listen to news form around the world.
25 > BBC, NPR and whatever he can find.
26 >
27 > I was looking at Amarok 2 based on your other thread and that reminded
28 > me about this topic. I didn't want to hijack that thread though.
29 >
30 > What keywords are required to get Amarok 2 to build? I'm not clear
31 > what ~*2.0.1.1 means.
32
33 Slingbox is for streaming your TV to and remotely controlling it from
34 a PC or Cell Phone. (I've got one -- doesn't work on Linux, though.
35 booo)
36
37 My dad has one of those portable internet radios, I don't know the
38 name but it works well and he seems to be pleased with it. (As long as
39 you're in wifi range)