From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cron tab
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:46:24
1 On 03/22/2017 12:46 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 22/03/2017 02:27, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> I have a cron tab entry:
4 >> 5 18 3 * 1-5
5 >>
6 >> To my understanding it will run 18:05 on the 3rd day of the month, from
7 >> Mon-Fri.
8 >>
9 >> So why did this cron entry run today?
12 > You have not read the man page.
13 >
14 > Fields 3 & 4 plus 5 are not anded like you are assuming. It is more
15 >
16 > (3 AND 4) OR 5 giving you this:
17 > Run at 18:05 on the 3rd,
18 > and also
19 > Run at 18:05 every Mon-Fri
20 >
21 > and it's all in the man page, and you are having an alarming tendency to
22 > not read them. Please deal with this internal lack.
23
24 Yes, you are correct; I have to work on it.
27 > Now this all makes sense. You cannot possibly have the 3rd day of the
28 > month happen Monday to Friday
29
30 You are correct it should be:
31 5 18 3 * *