From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID-1 on secondary disks how?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 19:22:23
1 On 01/29/2019 12:04 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I don't see the value in using a different configuration on a box simply
3 > because it happens to work on that particular box. Dracut is a more
4 > generic solution that allows me to keep hosts the same.
5
6 And if all the boxes in the fleet can function without an initramfs?
7 Then why have it? Why not apply Occam's Razor & Parsimony and use the
8 simpler solution. Especially if more complex solutions introduce
9 additional things that need to be updated.
10
11 > Kinda sorta. The kernel boots one distro which then chroots and execs
12 > another. The initramfs follows the exact same rules as any other
13 > userspace rootfs.
14
15 There's no "kinda" to it. Booting one distro (kernel & set of init
16 scripts), then chrooting and execing a new kernel and the booting
17 another distro is at least twice as complex as booting a single distro.
18
19 This is even more complicated if the first initramfs distro is not
20 identical to the main installed distro. Which is quite likely to be the
21 case, or at least a subset of the main installed distro.
22
23 IMHO an initramfs is usually, but not always, an unnecessary complication.
24
25 > Sure, and I wouldn't expect them to require rebuilding your initramfs
26 > either. I was speaking generally.
27
28 Modifying things like crypttab and / or adding / removing file systems
29 from the kernel that are required for boot have caused me to need to
30 rebuild an initramfs in the past. But that was not necessarily Gentoo,
31 so it may not be a fair comparison.
36 Grant. . . .
37 unix || die