From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to a hardened profile and back again
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:01:13
1 On 03/15/2011 02:05 PM, Grant wrote:
2 > A dev is asking me to switch to a hardened profile in order to test a
3 > fix. I'm happy to go through the process, but is there a chance my
4 > laptop could be unusable after the switch? If that happens I'll be in
5 > real trouble. Will I be able to switch back to a non-hardened profile
6 > afterward? I plan to follow this guide:
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedfaq.xml#hardenedprofile
9 >
10 > BTW, are emerge -e world and emerge -e system both necessary? I
11 > thought emerge -e world would rebuild everything.
12
13 Switching to hardened is safe. The switch back should be, too, although
14 I haven't personally tried it. (Why would you switch back?)
15
16 You emerge system first, and then world so that your world is built by a
17 hardened toolchain. When you compile gcc/glibc with USE=hardened, it
18 gives them super powers.