From: Francisco Rivas <taken2k4@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CFLAGS "...-O3 -pipe" vs "...O2 <no pipe>"
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:43:27
1 Hi all..
2
3 I think what -O3 is not _dangerous_ when you know how to use, a few posts
4 ago someone mentioned not all of packages can be compiled using -O3, if I am
5 not wrong was GCC and OpenOffice.org.
6
7 The thing is: -O3 is not a _damage_ is an carefully flag to compile for some
8 packages..
9
10 In some webpages I people said : ".. -O3 is not used by developer because
11 come troubles when you want to do a debug..".
12
13 But:
14 http://www.nersc.gov/vendor_docs/intel/f_ug2/dbg_opt.htm,
15 http://linuxgazette.net/121/hegde.html,
16 http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/macxhelp/v6v81/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.xlf81m.doc/pgs/ug42.htm
17 .
18
19 "...The following setting is the "Optimizations". You shouldn't use O3 as it
20 takes longer to compile, the generated code will be sometimes faster,
21 sometimes slower and almost always larger. For example, a program that was
22 compiled with the O2 level of optimization is 250KB large and is quite fast,
23 the same program compiled with the O3 level of optimization can take more
24 time to compile, produce a larger binary, depending on the code, even
25 500-700KB large and it can be slower or faster. Therefore, the O3
26 optimization level isn't recommended. Use O2 if you need the best
27 optimization without adding the risk of obtaining large binaries, which need
28 a long time to be loaded before being executed and are not always faster..."
29 take of http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/linux/Gentoo-Review-20543.shtml.